Happy 2014! May your year be full of much joy and love!
While enjoying our extended stay at my wonderful in-laws' in Ohio on this lovely snowy day, I decided to whip something up with the Tofutti's "Better Than Cream Cheese" and Earth Balance I picked up during a recent Kroger grocery trip. It seems that these extra, splurge vegan products cost way more in Chicago, so I was excited to make something special with them when I found them for reasonable prices in Ohio! I found a fabulous carrot cupcake recipe here and modified slightly. The cupcakes turned out delightful, and the icing makes a very yummy vegan cream cheese icing. Enjoy these tasty treats especially with the happy thought that no animals were harmed in their making!
1 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
Pinch of sea salt
½ cup packed organic, fair-trade brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup grated organic carrot
¼ cup unrefined coconut oil
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
¾ cup almond milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 of 8 oz container non-hydrogenated Tofutti Cream Cheese
1/8 cup non-hydrogenated Earth Balance vegan spread
1/2 cup powdered sugar
Vanilla to taste
1. Mix and stir dry ingredients together.
2. Melt coconut oil, and then mix all ingredients together well.
3. Spoon batter evenly (about ¾ cup) into lined or oiled muffin pans.
4. Bake at 365 F for 20 minutes, then transfer to cooling rack until completely cooled.
5. Mix Tofutti cream cheese and Earth Balance together with an electric mixer or whisk.
6. Gently fold in vanilla and powdered sugar in ½ cup increments until desired taste and consistency. 7. Spread or pipe on icing.
8. Eat immediately or refrigerate. Enjoy!