Since we've been in Chicago, we've made granola a few times, but this was the first time we've ventured beyond the super basics. I must say, I doubt we'll be going back! We worked with this recipe and modified it quite a bit. Here is our take:
4 cups old fashioned oats
4 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt (more or less, to taste)
1/3 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon molasses
1/3 cup honey
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
2. Combine dry ingredients in mixing bowl: oats, cocoa powder, sea salt, sugar, chocolate chips.
3. Add molasses, honey, oil, and vanilla to the oat mixture.
4. Stir until wet and dry ingredients are combined and evenly distributed.
5. Spread wax paper on a cookie sheet and pour mixture, in an even layer, onto the wax paper.
6. Bake at 250 for 60 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes (eating as little as possible each time you stir).
7. Let cool and enjoy!
Ready to go into the oven:
The finished product: